This topic contains 33 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Ефремова Фаина 1 day, 17 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author

dave4848
    Participant

Hey Dr. J
    I was looking for information based on the latest research on what I should be taking pre/post workout
    At the moment I’m not taking protein powder prior to workouts.
    I just take 30g hydrolysed WPI protein (ASN HP-100). 80g dextrose and 3g creatine. I weight 83kg currently and after coming back from a shoulder injury and am looking to build strength and put on some size. I’ve been training for 4 years prior to the injury that took me out for 6months.
    I also play hockey twice a week and take the same post workout shake after training/games.
    I’m looking at 4 categories (a)best practice if money is no object (b) on very tight budget (c) mid level budget halfway between the two.
    1) Protein
    What protein powder is your recommendations post workout / pre workout
    A blend or one of the following by itself ?
    Hydrolyzed WPI
    Are myopure going to start selling DH20 Hydro WPI ? I heard a ASN rep go on about how the new HP-100 was so much better due to it being DH20 not DH17
    Can you please explain the DH20vDH17 ?
    How much more effective is Hydrolyzed WPI vs WPI ?

Hydrolyzed Casein Protein
    Never heard of this before can you explain the research on this ?

WPI
    What is the difference between some of your WPI’s ?

WPC
    Should this even be in my post workout shake ?

I would also like some info on the time to absorb these proteins.
    2) Carbs
    Vitargo vs Maltodextrin and dextrose which is better for weight training?
    With malto/dex what ratio/how much of each ?
    3) Glutamine
    I have heard mixed reports on the usefulness of this supplement could you clear up what the latest research is and dosage please
    I apologise for my very long post
    David

#8988 Reply

Dr J
    Keymaster

@dave4848 wrote:

What protein powder is your recommendations post workout / pre workout

1) PeptoPro, Dextrose, Maltodextrin. ratio 20/20/20. Two drinks one before and one during in at least 600ml water each. I also add creatine, citrulline malate and leucine (5g of each)
    2) DH17, dextrose, maltodextrin 30g of each, 3-5g creatine

3) Any WPI, dextrose, maltodextrin.

@dave4848 wrote:

Hydrolyzed WPI

Are myopure going to start selling DH20 Hydro WPI ? I heard a ASN rep go on about how the new HP-100 was so much better due to it being DH20 not DH17
    Can you please explain the DH20vDH17 ?
    How much more effective is Hydrolyzed WPI vs WPI ?

Nope. Degree of hydrolysis is just a marketing tool. Molecular weight profile is the important thing. If you want something better go for PeptoPro.

Effectiveness is determined (in theory, supported by experimental work) rate of absorption. WPI peaks in 1 hour, HWPI in around 20 to 30 mins, PeptoPro less than 20 mins

@dave4848 wrote:

Hydrolyzed Casein Protein
    Never heard of this before can you explain the research on this ?

Used years ago in a fat loss study. Faster absorption than WPI but not as fast as DH17

@dave4848 wrote:

WPI
    What is the difference between some of your WPI’s ?

US WPI comes from the US. We can’t be sure if from grain fed or grass fed. Instantised with soy lecithin

MF WPI comes from NZ. We assume from grass fed cows. No soy lecithin.

ACE WPI from NZ and with 30% more BCAAs than most WPIs

@dave4848 wrote:

WPC
    Should this even be in my post workout shake ?

Sure. I think absorption wouldn’t be much more than WPI

@dave4848 wrote:

I would also like some info on the time to absorb these proteins.

See above

@dave4848 wrote:

2) Carbs
    Vitargo vs Maltodextrin and dextrose which is better for weight training?
    With malto/dex what ratio/how much of each ?

I don’t think vitargo/waxy maize is going to make a whole lot of difference unless maltodextrin causes gastro upset.

BB protein to dext to malto ratio 1/1/1 for endurance style training 1/2/2

@dave4848 wrote:

3) Glutamine
    I have heard mixed reports on the usefulness of this supplement could you clear up what the latest research is and dosage please

May help with recovery, good for gut health and very good for cravings. 5 to 10g

@dave4848 wrote:

I apologise for my very long post
    David

Anytime. J.

#8989 Reply

dave4848
    Participant

Thankyou for your advice
    I think i’ll go with a WPI or a Hydrolysed WPI with dext/malto and creatine post workout (myopure of course 😀 ).
    PeptoPro looks awesome its just a little out of my price range at the moment. I also wouldn’t mind giving beta alanine, citrulline malate and leucine a go.

What would you say is the priority after WPI/dext/malto and creatine is ? Hydrolysed WPI ?
    Am i missing much without pre/intra workout supplementation ?

#8987 Reply

Dr J
    Keymaster

No. Other things like overall diet and sleep are probably much more important. I’d probably go for l-leucine if pressed for an answer. J.

#8990 Reply

dave4848
    Participant

Hey Dr J
    I’m alittle confused about the regulation of supplements in Australia can you straighten somethings out
    Dont all supplements in Australia need a Aust Listing number ?
    Doesnt this number mean the product has undergone scrutiny for quality and control for manufacture by the Australian Theraputic Goods Administration ? or atleast a Health Certificate and Manufacturing Declaration ?
    How come so many supplements sold in Australia don’t have these ?
    Do your supplements have these ?
    Isn’t it stupid to have a non enforced quality control ?

David

#8991 Reply

Dr J
    Keymaster

All our protien powders are packed in a dairy safe registered factory as required by the food regs.

Aust L is more complicated and we avoid doing these products for the MyoPure label. I’ve PM’d you more detail.

Hope it’s a little clearer now.

#8992 Reply

dave4848
    Participant

Will you be releasing a bulk version of Hydrolysed WPI ?
    or a 2kg pack of 50/50 split malt/dex ?
    David

#8993 Reply

Dr J
    Keymaster

You’re right we should offer a discount for 4kg + hydrolysed whey as we do for the other protein powders.

Have updated the page and order form so discount is calculated automatically.

Dextrose and maltodextrin will stay in 2kg stand alone packs though. Big enough hassle as it is. 😉

#8996 Reply

dave4848
    Participant

Hey again I was wondering if you will be getting in
    – some sort of caffeine powder
    – tyrosine supplement

I was thinking of making my own pre workout formula
    With
    Beta-alanine
    Acetyl-L-Carnitine
    Caffeine ( only a small amount I’m not a big coffee drinker)
    plus maybe tyrosine

feel free to put up any thoughts

Cheers David

#8998 Reply

dave4848
    Participant

I have not read much evidence of these supplements being dangerous
    Beta-alanine and tyrosine from what I have read have been to be shown quite safe in moderate levels.
    Acetyl-L-Carnitine from what I have read majority of its benefits are in health benefits with a slight performance enhancement.

Can I ask for a link ?

I have avoided stimulants like Methylhexaneamine / 1,3-Dimethylamylamine (DMAA) because i feel the jury is still out on there effect and safety
    which are in Jack3d and 1MR I believe

#8997 Reply

Bull
    Participant

@dave4848 wrote:

I have not read much evidence of these supplements being dangerous
    Beta-alanine and tyrosine from what I have read have been to be shown quite safe in moderate levels.
    Acetyl-L-Carnitine from what I have read majority of its benefits are in health benefits with a slight performance enhancement.

Can I ask for a link ?

I have avoided stimulants like Methylhexaneamine / 1,3-Dimethylamylamine (DMAA) because i feel the jury is still out on there effect and safety
    which are in Jack3d and 1MR I believe

The jury isn’t out at my place Dave. Those pre workout stims work for me. Nothing else has ever been able to get me out of bed before 5 to train before. Not consistently anyway. I don’t know much about the safety aspect, especially with people using multiple scoops of them but they work just fine.

If you start mucking about with caffeine powder get a good set of micro scales and get your sums right. Caffeine OD is apparently pretty scary and it doesn’t take as much as you might think.

#9000 Reply

dave4848
    Participant

I don’t really think there is enough evidence on DMAA to be using it
    1) How it affects the human brain as a lot of testing was done on mice ….
    2) Its interactions with other stimulants (e.g. caffeine) and medicines
    3) It is being used as a party drug due to its effect of euphoria and being called the legal BZP is concerning
    4) Being banned by numerous athletic bodies is a little concerning
    5) Review of Research Shows DMAA Not Naturally From Geranium (http://www.naturalproductsinsider.com/news/2011/08/ahpa-dmaa-not-naturally-from-geranium.aspx)

I have decided to go with green tea pre-workout. Kill two birds with one stone caffeine + antioxidants plus there seems to be some good evidence to support green tea and endurance performance
    I’m still considering the other supplements for the moment.

Deciding if I want pre-workout supplements, heavy grips or fat gripz because I want to improve my grip strength for a few of my exercises

Dave

#8999 Reply

Dr J
    Keymaster

Heavy grips can be hard on the forearms and elbows if you over do it. I haven’t used to fat gripz enough to decide but they certainly hit the forearms.

Most surprising ‘forearm’ exercise discovery was using kettle bells for lateral raises. Holding the handles tightly so the ‘bells stay in line with the arms at the top of the movement really brings the forearms into play.

#8994 Reply

dave4848
    Participant

ohh nice ill give it a go 🙂

#8995 Reply

Bull
    Participant

@Dr J wrote:

Heavy grips can be hard on the forearms and elbows if you over do it. I haven’t used to fat gripz enough to decide but they certainly hit the forearms.

Most surprising ‘forearm’ exercise discovery was using kettle bells for lateral raises. Holding the handles tightly so the ‘bells stay in line with the arms at the top of the movement really brings the forearms into play.

J, I’m assuming that you have your palm vertical at the top of that movement?????? I only ask because if you are doing lateral raises with the index finger up then you are working much more front delt than medial. I think it would be difficult to hold a kettlebell extended like that with the arm rotated forward so that the little finger is higher than the index finger at the top of the movement.

Please disregard if I’m on the wrong track. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
Reply To: Post/Pre Workout Nutrition question for Dr J
Your information:

Positive SSL