This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Dr J 10 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Memories
    Participant

When protein powders are shipped do things like sunlight effect what looks like clear plastic bags the protein is stored in? Also another thing which interests me is the heat the protein is subjected to whilst in shipping, could that have any significant effect on what I’m eating after I get it?

#6199 Reply

StormTrooper
    Participant

So to summarise…
    Sunlight > protein powder > you get protein (but don’t consume > you eat other food > You might get upset stomach ? WTF??

You worry too much…

#6200 Reply

Memories
    Participant

@stormtrooper wrote:

So to summarise…
    Sunlight > protein powder > you get protein (but don’t consume > you eat other food > You might get upset stomach ? WTF??

You worry too much…

Why shouldn’t I worry? If this white powder I pay $40/kg for is useless should I keep doing it for the placebo? What if I’m relying on it for a short term protein sparing modified fast diet? I should just die?

#6201 Reply

Dr J
    Keymaster

@memories wrote:

When protein powders are shipped do things like sunlight effect what looks like clear plastic bags the protein is stored in? Also another thing which interests me is the heat the protein is subjected to whilst in shipping, could that have any significant effect on what I’m eating after I get it?

Short answer is NO.

Long answers

Sunlight: Protein powder is not sensitive to sunlight/light. If it was we wouldn’t use clear bags. In fact, our packing plant which is Dairy Safe and AQUIS certified wouldn’t be allowed to use clear bags.

Heat: I’ve never seen protein powder in a cooler so all protein powders are in the same boat. However, average temp in Australia is well below the recommended storage temp for protein. You need some serious heat (ie cooking) to change the structure of protein molecules. Cooking might change certain characteristics of the protein but it’s not necessarily bad. I’d rather have my chicken cooked than raw and scrambling improves the digestibility of egg protein.

The most important concern is to keep your powder dry. Once a significant amount of moisture is introduced protein powder keeps as well as milk.

#6202 Reply

Memories
    Participant

@Dr J wrote:

@memories wrote:

Short answer is NO.

Long answers

Sunlight: Protein powder is not sensitive to sunlight/light. If it was we wouldn’t use clear bags. In fact, our packing plant which is Dairy Safe and AQUIS certified wouldn’t be allowed to use clear bags.

Heat: I’ve never seen protein powder in a cooler so all protein powders are in the same boat. However, average temp in Australia is well below the recommended storage temp for protein. You need some serious heat (ie cooking) to change the structure of protein molecules. Cooking might change certain characteristics of the protein but it’s not necessarily bad. I’d rather have my chicken cooked than raw and scrambling improves the digestibility of egg protein.

The most important concern is to keep your powder dry. Once a significant amount of moisture is introduced protein powder keeps as well as milk.

Thanks for your answers. I am aware that pretty much all protein powders are subjected to similar shipping conditions so I wasn’t particularly focusing on myopure to “bad mouth” it.

I was thinking that temperatures above 40C (of which I can imagine in some trucks/vans) may start to have an impact on the protein, obviously not to the extent where the whole product is useless mind you, but some effect. I noticed that some creatine and protein I left on top of a fridge which at times (not all the time) reached about 40-50C made both the products smell different, like meat going off. How much that affects the product I’m not sure.

In regards to water, if one or two drops of water gets into a tub is that really going to do much damage? Sometimes my hands are wet when handling the protein and the scoop gets a little wet… should I really be careful and ensure it’s as dry as possible? I guess I should err on the side of caution here for the future.

#6203 Reply

Dr J
    Keymaster

Keep the protein as dry as possible. There’s already about 5% moisture in the powder so I suspect it need to go up substantially before there are issues.

Creatine is stable up to 79.something degrees. Study is on medline.

I wouldn’t store my protein on a hot surface because that’s a little like slow cooking.

However, even if air temp reach 40 my guess is that protein powder (or any type of powder) doesn’t get anywhere near that temp and probably stays within a small temperature range.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Myopure protein questions
Your information:

Positive SSL