This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Dr J 8 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Grahamw
    Participant

Hi

I’ve read on here that creatine doesn’t work for everyone and there are some that swear by it. I am fairly new to all this but have read well and I too am wondering weather to use it or indeed whether it will work for me. I recently decided to have a health check and my results were very good. They also did a liver function test and a whole bunch of other stuff and from the results, I saw an entry for Creatinine which is (from the Greek kreas, flesh) is a break-down product of creatine phosphate in muscle, and is usually produced at a fairly constant rate by the body (depending on muscle mass). Chemically, creatinine is a spontaneously formed cyclic derivative of creatine. (source Wikipedia)

My reading for Creatinine was 75 umol/L and the normal range is 60-110. I could be completely off the radar here and it may have no connection whatsoever but is it possible that those with a naturally high level of creatinine in their system are not likely to benefit much from supplementation? Whereas those with a lower count will? I’m sure this stuff has been tested and blah blah blah but it was just a thought I had, that’s all and wanted to share it 8) .

Cheers

G

#7978 Reply

Dr J
    Keymaster

Creatine may not have any added benefit if a person has already maximized their creatine stores. So if you eat a lot of red meat or a lot of herrings you may be out of luck.

Creatine transport gateways may be another reason a small percent of the population don’t respond.

Your creatinine levels are normal. If this means anything, and I’m not sure that it does, your response to creatine supplemental is likely to be normal.

J

#7979 Reply

unbuff
    Participant

Here’s something that’ll blow u away… I was taking creatine before and after training and my levels of creatinine were 116. I then stopped it for a week and the next blood test showed 112 I think, there results are around this forum somewhere. Its been ages since, and I reckon i would have dropped down to normal levels by now.

Since going off creatine I found it to not work, as my lifts and progression in weight and strength didn’t change.

#7980 Reply

Dr J
    Keymaster

@unbuff wrote:

Since going off creatine I found it to not work, as my lifts and progression in weight and strength didn’t change.

Not sure what you mean by this?

#7981 Reply

unbuff
    Participant

@Dr J wrote:

@unbuff wrote:

Not sure what you mean by this?

Yeah, now that I read it the wording is rather odd.

I just mean, since going off it (few months now), theres been no change in my progression. So I’m guessing creatine didn’t work for me.

#7982 Reply

Dr J
    Keymaster

Very hard to say (as with most these things) because you don’t know what your progress would have been if you were taking

(fill in the blank).

In the end that’s why we’ve all got to make up our own minds.

#7983 Reply

unbuff
    Participant

@Dr J wrote:

Very hard to say (as with most these things) because you don’t know what your progress would have been if you were taking

(fill in the blank).

Well looking over my logs when i was taking creatine, to looking over logs without creatine, the progression is the about the same.

I’ve found switching to the anabolic diet, has increased progression more then anything.

#7984 Reply

Dr J
    Keymaster

@unbuff wrote:

@Dr J wrote:

(fill in the blank).

Well looking over my logs when i was taking creatine, to looking over logs without creatine, the progression is the about the same.

I’ve found switching to the anabolic diet, has increased progression more then anything.

More power to anyone who keeps a log.

Switching diet is a confounding variable. You may be getting more creatine from this diet than the previous one. Also remember it takes at least a month for creatine levels to get back to baseline. This would also be confounded by a change in diet.

If you’re interested wait until you’ve had no creatine supplementation for about 2 months. Then do a 5 day loading regimen and see if this adds at least 1 cm to your arms. If that is the case, your muscle cells should have more creatine than before the load. If not, there’s a good chance they were chocker block before you started so you’re getting enough from your diet.

#7985 Reply

unbuff
    Participant

I’ll do that actually

whats a loading dose

#7986 Reply

Dr J
    Keymaster

5g 5 times a day for 4 to 5 days

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: Creatinine, Creatine – Liver Function Test
Your information:

Positive SSL