This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  onyourbike 11 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

matt_p
    Participant

I purchased creatine on recommendation, to help me with my road and mountain bike riding. I ride for up to 3 hours at a time, but not every day. I wont to know when i should be taking it to maximise it and what quantity? Also when i have been taking it i seem to get a sickly feeling in the stomach for a while, i mix ! teaspoon with 1tsp dextrose and apple juice. Any suggestions on how to make this work for me it would be great.
    Or any other recommeded suplements.

Cheers

#2447 Reply

tobyredd
    Participant

creatine will do diddly squat if your sport involves riding for 3 hours….the only thing i see it useful for is helping you load your bike in and out of your car (providing it was heavy enough)

#6042 Reply

kinmassive
    Participant

@tobyredd wrote:

creatine will do diddly squat if your sport involves riding for 3 hours….the only thing i see it useful for is helping you load your bike in and out of your car (providing it was heavy enough)

That’s bullshit! Creatine supplementaion is good for everything and everyone. Runners find creatine a great sup for getting their tiring muscles to push that little bit further. So why would it be any bloody different for a cyclelist? I’m a kickboxer and I use it all the time after a gruelling session to replenish my tiring self. I’m not even going to entertain that comment any further with the benefits of creatine supplementation. :roll:

matt_p you should be supplementing with creatine directly after training. Some people load and some don’t, but I personally find that if i load I get a lot more out of the product? Apple juice is a good transporter and so is grape juice apparently. The sickly feeing you will be getting could be slight bloating, also some creatine is better than others and you could be finding that your body may react with that particular breed of creatine?

#6043 Reply

tobyredd
    Participant

sorry Kin, you’re right…creatine wont help you load your bike in and out of your car….but i do suggest you do a little reading about ATP, what it is, how its created, how the body uses it (and when i.e not when cycling for 3 hours) and what creatine is actually used for rather than sounding like a demtel infomercial… 😆

#6044 Reply

strud
    Participant

Don’t forget that bike riding especially mountain bike riding can involve periods of high intensity (anerobic) activity.
    I did do some similar riding whilst supplementing with creatine (and Ribose) and noticed a usefull improvement, especially with hill sprints.

#6045 Reply

tobyredd
    Participant

hey strud…yeah i agree…cycling can be a killer and there will be times when it’s high intensity….although if you are riding for 3 hours, i really doubt its anaerobic….you’re using other energy systems…..

but kin seems to think creatine can be useful for everything and everyone..(which is a great way to think if you want to piss your money away on supplements) 💡 lets start giving creatine to marathon runners too? maybe it can replensish their tiring muscles after a gruelling 40k run………

matt_p what are you eating before and after your sessions? i think manipulating your nutrition will give you more of an advantage than creatine 🙂

#6046 Reply

Dr J
    Keymaster

During intense endurance exercise improves maintanence of energy balance Creatine supplementation reduces muscle inosine monophosphate during endurance exercise in humans.

Or not Effects of creatine loading and prolonged creatine supplementation on body composition, fuel selection, sprint and endurance performance in humans.

The last study also found a nasty side effect:

In addition, our findings suggest that prolonged creatine ingestion induces an increase in fat-free mass.

😉

And finally from Creatine supplementation and exercise performance: recent findings.

When performance is assessed based on intensity and duration of the exercises, there is contradictory evidence relative to both continuous and intermittent endurance activities. However, activities that involve jumping, sprinting or cycling generally show improved sport performance following Cr ingestion.

From a very cursory look over PubMed.

J

#6047 Reply

tobyredd
    Participant

The last study also found a nasty side effect:

Quote:
    In addition, our findings suggest that prolonged creatine ingestion induces an increase in fat-free mass.
    😉

The question here is not whether creatine can help you build muscle or not…but if creatine supplementation will benefit a mountain bike rider who rides for up to 3 hours at a time…..In that case Dr J, all mountain bike riders should aim to look like ronnie coleman cause they would have “more muscle” so this would help them ride better? :roll:

Creatine fundamentally is a great supplement for explosive sports. Mountain bike riding for 3 hours is not an explosive sport whether you like it or not. If anything, creatine supplementation could hinder your performance as a mountain bike rider…(and outweight any potential benefits you would see with increased lactate tolerance or increases in absolute muscle mass)

Increases in muscle or water (from supplementing with creatine) would raise your bodyweight (whether its fat free or not) and create a situation where there’s an increase in energy cost for your muscles. This cant be a good thing for endurance sports.

From a very cursory look over PubMed.

I dont even know what that means….(I guess i better start taking creatine again because it improves brain function too i believe)?

matt_p: if you’re looking for that miracle supplement thats going to give you that boost, i dont think creatine will give it to you. (I dont know much about riding as it doesnt interest me) but ive heard caffeine is widely used by riders. I think you should focus on pre and post event nutrition, water intake and your training. This will give you the edge over other riders who just chugg down creatine hoping it will make their muscles less sore during an event.

#6048 Reply

Dr J
    Keymaster

I’d agree that post, during and pre event nutrition are areas to focus on.

However, I’d say the jury is still out on the usefulness of creatine supplementation with endurance activities. I suspect that in the end it will come down to the type of endurance activity, especially if it involves intermittent bouts of intense work.

I know a runner who swears creatine helps even after I’ve told her I couldn’t see how it would help. Go figure.

#6049 Reply

onyourbike
    Participant

Hi Guys,
    I have been riding for 6 or 7 years now and until recently i haven’t used anything apart from a coffee before a race, then i was told to try Creatine, so i read up on it , i take the right amount for my age and body weight , i load for the first week and for the next 4 weeks i take the recommended amount then a 4 week break and start again. I ride between 300 and 400 km’s a week this is training and racing, to get to my point Creatine has done wonders for me , not only i ride in a higher grade now, but i have also toned up and i am also getting definition on my muscles, so for me it has helped very much.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: Creatine and Cycling
Your information:

Positive SSL